Monday, March 31, 2014

Dying After Your Time

Should scientists try to help people beat old age so we can live radically longer? Why?
I don't think that they should. It would throw too many things out of balance. Our population is already massive, and it would just grow much more if life expectancy increased. It would also throw off economies, because too much money would go towards keeping people alive longer than necessary. 

How long do you want to live?
I would want to live until I felt that I had lived a full and prosperous life, which I think I will feel I've done when I'm 90. After that, there's too much maintenance involved in keeping someone alive, and it's not worth it if im in a hospital for most of the rest of my life. 

Do you agree with the author that "adding years to your life doesn't necessarily make it fuller?"
I agree with that statement, because if you're just adding years to your life just to live longer, then you probably won't be spending your time enjoying your life. There would be too much involved in purely keeping yourself alive that you wouldn't enjoy it and wouldn't even want to live any longer. Death is just another part of life, and there's no way to get rid of it without having massive repercussions. 

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree! You make really valid points about the cost of health care for elderly, as well as not being able to function after a certain age.

    ReplyDelete